The history of Kent/Grand Rapids Township, Michigan 1834-2000. Purchase this book for $25.00 at the township office.
The Township is primarily single-family residential community with several condominium developments and a small mobile home park. There are four retirement homes, two nursing homes, a private hospital, YMCA, Frederik Meijer Gardens, several office parks and neighborhood commercial areas. Kuyper College and many churches are also located within its borders. Grand Rapids Charter Township has three school districts: Forest Hills, Northview and East Grand Rapids.
The Township was first organized as the Town of Kent in 1834 with Rix Robinson as the moderator. The State of Michigan designated Grand Rapids Township in 1842.
Grand Rapids Township became a "Charter" Township in 1979 under the Charter Township Act of the State of Michigan. Grand Rapids Township has a contractual agreement with the City of Grand Rapids for sewer and water that serves most of the subdivisions. A small portion of the north part of the Township is served by Plainfield Township water and sewer service.
Property owned by the Township is the Township Complex that includes the main offices, Townhall and Fire Station, 1851 Knapp School House, shelter building and park, and 190 acres for future park development between Crahen and Knapp Court streets. The Township also has two fire stations. There are two private cemeteries in the Township that the Township maintains; they are Martin Cemetery and Mason Cemetery. Graceland Memorial Gardens and Mausoleum is also located in the Township.